Friends Season 1 Episode 1-3
Rachel Green, Ross Geller, Monica Geller, Joey Tribbiani, Chandler Bing and Phoebe Buffay are all friends, living off of one another in the heart of New York City. Over the course of ten years, this average group of buddies goes through massive1 mayhem2, family trouble, past and future romances, fights, laughs, tears and surprises as they learn what it really means to be a friend.
The One Where Monica Gets a Roommate
Monica and the gang introduce Rachel to the "real world" after she leaves her fiancé3 at the altar4.
In a New York City coffee house called Central Perk, we're introduced to six friends: chef5 Monica Geller, data controller Chandler Bing who lives across the hall from Monica, Chandler's roommate/actor Joey Tribbiani, Monica's brother Ross Geller, new ageist6 Phoebe Buffay, and "born to be a wife" Rachel Green. One of the friends is just getting into a relationship and two are just getting out of one each. Monica is in the former category, going on a real/not-so-real date, dates with guys she's interested in being a rare7 occurrence8. But she is excited by her upcoming one with Paul the Wine Guy from her place of work. Out on their date, their intimate 9conversation includes the fact that trauma10 from his last relationship has left him sexually incapable, something that only the right woman like Monica can fix, and she apparently11 does. Later however she finds that it was just a line to get her into bed, and thus her streak with the "wrong guy" continues. Ross is one of the two in the getting out of a relationship category. He and his ex-wife Carol broke up when she found out she was a lesbian. However waltzing12 into town is his old crush and Monica's best friend from high school Rachel, who is the second friend on a break-up: she has just left her fiancé Barry at the altar, she still in her wedding dress when she first shows up at the coffee house. This move was based on the fact that she realized she was more interested in being married than in being with Mr. Potato Head lookalike 13Barry. She and Monica had not seen each other since high school, she turning to Monica now since Monica is the only person she knows in the city. Rachel barges14 into Monica's life since she has no skills, no job and no money - up to this point in her life, she has lived off the wealth of her father - but needs to flee15 the direction of her life with Barry and her parents. Although she now has a place to stay with Monica, she needs a job and she needs a new support network. As old flames16 die slow and reignite17 easily, Ross hopes to be one of her more intimate18 supports.
The One with the Sonogram at the End
Ross finds out his ex-wife is pregnant. Rachel returns her engagement ring to Barry. Monica becomes stressed when her and Ross's parents come to visit.
In this episode19, Ross finds out that his ex-wife Carol is pregnant with his child. He's stunned20 to learn she wants to give the baby her and her lesbian lovers last name. Ross and Monica's parents come for dinner which makes Monica really stressed. Rachel decides to return her engagement ring to Barry, the man she left at the alter and learns that he didn't let their honeymoon go to waste. He spent it with her maid of honor Mindy.
The One with the Thumb
Monica becomes irritated21 when everyone likes her new boyfriend more than she does. Chandler resumes his smoking habit. Phoebe is given $7000 when she finds a thumb in a can of soda.
Monica is reluctant22 to introduce her new boyfriend, Alan, to her friends because they've mocked23 all of the boyfriend they've met before. To her surprise, they love Alan. However, she realizes she doesn't feel a spark24 with Alan and breaks up with him. Her friends take the news very hard, but Alan is relieved (since he couldn't stand her friends). Chandler resumes his smoking habit. Phoebe encounters a problem with her bank account, when a bank error in her favor nets her $1,000. She gives the money (and a complementary25 football phone) away to a homeless friend, who in turn buys her a soda. When Phoebe opens it, she sees a thumb, so the soda company gives her $7,000.
- extremely large or serious.
- confusion and fear, usually caused by violent behaviour or by some sudden shocking event.
- the man that a woman is engaged to.
- a holy table in a church or temple.
- a professional cook, especially the most senior cook in a restaurant, hotel, etc.
- showing an unfair attitude towards older people.
- not done, seen, happening, etc. very often.
- something that happens or exists.
- having a close and friendly relationship.
- a mental condition caused by severe shock, especially when the harmful effects last for a long time.
- according to the way something appears.
- a dance in which two people dance together to a regular rhythm.
- a person who looks very similar to the person mentioned.
- a large boat with a flat bottom, used for carrying goods and people on canals and rivers.
- to leave a person or place very quickly, especially because you are afraid of possible danger.
- a hot bright stream of burning gas that comes from something that is on fire.
- to start burning again.
- having a close and friendly relationship.
- an event, a situation, or a period of time in somebody’s life, a novel, etc. that is important or interesting in some way.
- very surprised or shocked.
- annoyed or angry.
- hesitating before doing something because you do not want to do it or because you are not sure that it is the right thing to do.
- to laugh at somebody/something in an unkind way, especially by copying what they say or do.
- feelings of anger or excitement between people.
- different but together form a useful or attractive combination of skills, qualities or physical features.